Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Lucia Day


Many of you probably don't know that I am Swedish! On December 13th is Lucia Day! I try to celebrate many of the Swedish holidays including Midsummer's!

On Lucia Day a girl is elected to portray Lucia. (Usually the oldest daughter.) Wearing a white gown with a red sash and a crown of candles on her head. She serves everyone traditional rolls and hot coca and everyone sings Christmas songs! It was Jack's first year being a "star boy"! He gets to help. This Swedish festival of lights helps to brighten up the long winter nights in December. It celebrates the life of a real saint, Lucia, who was known for her kindness and love. I have such a wonderful Grandma who always sends me such wonderful Lucia day things! Ella always looks forward to this day every year. I'm glad that I can carry on the tradition of our heritage with her. I have always loved Lucia day too, I have so many wonderful memories of getting to be Lucia as a little girl!

Jack's running away, I guess that means we're done.....

2 comments:

Andrea said...

I am so glad you posted about this. Tyler came home from school the other day with a star ring 'hat' and told me he was star boy. I had no idea what he was talking about. I knew they were learning about different cultures and traditions so I assumed it was something from that. Thanks for the info...now I am not as confused.

Tiffany Robinson said...

I am so glad to see that you carry out this family tradition. You are a wonderful mom!!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...