Saturday, September 27, 2008

A Terrible, most awful Day

After having Ella picked up and taken to school I decided to take Jack with me to run some errands. Our first stop was a Dillard's department store at our local mall. I wanted to hurry and get everything done before having to pick up the children from school.
I jumped out of the car and grabbed my purse, phone and keys opened Jack's door and unbuckled him from his car seat. Uh... of course, he was very wet and needed to have his diaper changed. I looked in my purse.... nothing. I usually keep some diapers in the car somewhere. I looked around, unable to find any. I sat Jack in his seat and closed the door. I then walked around the car to the other side to look over there. Locked. Weird. I walked back to Jack's side. LOCKED!


I freaked out. I was on the phone talking to my Aunt. I didn't know what to do. My Aunt just said- "call 911, call 911!" I hung up and called Ryan. He told me to grab a brick and break the window. But I was in the middle of a parking lot. He agreed that I should call 911. It was so hot and by now I was starting to sweat as I told the dispatcher where we were located. A police officer got there within just 1-2 minuets. Jack was now sweating pretty bad and standing in his car seat with his hands on the window screaming. The officer said that we should try and get him to crawl out of his seat along the back bench to the other window so that he would not be in the direct sun light. I walked around to the other side and sure enough he crawled right over. It was so sad. He was screaming and putting his hands on the glass, reaching for me.
The police officer said that a fire truck was coming, however if they didn't get there soon that she would have to break the window to get him out. I just looked at her "I don't care what you do, I just want him out now!" Just then we heard the horn of the fire truck. Three men jumped down and got to work on all three other windows trying to unlock any door. If felt like an eternity, although I'm sure it was only a couple of minuets. The officer said that I was doing very well and that by my not freaking out (screaming and crying myself) that Jack was probably doing somewhat better. FINALLY the door closest to me was opened! As soon as it was open two inches I grabbed it and flung it open! I moved faster then I ever have in my entire life! I jumped in, reached around to the back seat and pulled Jack out! He was super super sweaty, but he stopped crying immediately and even smiled at everyone. The firemen gave Jack and bottle of water and watched him for a few minuets. They said that as long as he was acting fine that he was probably OK.
I was so thankful that- I had had my phone on me so that I didn't have to go into the store to call 911, that an officer had been in the parking lot already and that the fire department made it there within 3 minuets! Without one of those things happening just right Jack could have ended up in big trouble. I was so freaked out that I just wanted to go home. But the police officer assured me that getting Jack into his car seat wasn't going to be something easy to do right now and that I should go get him an ice cream and let him cool off in the stores. Which we did. As soon as I walked in the doors of Dillard's my Aunt Karla called me back, worried sick. Ryan too called to make sure that everything was alright.
After Jack got some water he was right back to his old self. Although he did eat the entire ice cream cone all by himself. I felt so bad for poor baby Jack-Jack. I'm usually so paranoid about things like this. Usually I roll a window down a little while the kids are in the car (like when I get gas) so that if for some reason the doors were locked that I could just reach in and open the door. What was I thinking!!???
Then I remembered- I had to pick up the children from school! I made it there just in time. What a day. If left like 3 days in one. I am SO embarrassed that I did this. Endangering my own child. He could have died. Babies can die in only 15 minuets in cars. I'm so blessed. The really stupid thing is that our car had a keypad on the drivers door to type in a code and have the doors unlock. We've had this car for 3 1/2 years and we've never known the code. Yeah, I'll be figuring out that code this week.
This will NEVER happen again. (Knock on wood.)


Tiffany Robinson said...

oh my gosh RACHEL!! why didn't you call me! you need to call me more often. I am so glad that he is ok. I have always worried about doing that myself. I did lock my keys in the car one time while i was at Maceys but nothing to compare your feelings of seeing a child in there. Wow oh Wow!

Marc and Stacy said...

Hey its Stacy used to be Petersen! :) I found your blog off of my sister Courtney's. It's so great to keep in touch with old friends through blogging....

On a not so happy note, I'm so sorry about your situation today. What a horrible experience. We all, as mothers, have those moments where we feel like we've done something's really hard to be a Mom. You have to have your mind in a million places at once and nothing goes as planned. Do not beat yourself up over acted as quickly as possible and everything worked out beautifully. I couldn't imagine being in the situation...definitely you were blessed with the cell phone, police and fire truck. I'm so glad everything turned out okay!
Your kids are look great and its so fun to see what you are up to. Keep in touch.

Andre, Melissa and Jolie said...

oh my goodness I can't even imagine what you could have been going through! that is so scary but I am so glad that everything worked out just right witht the police officer and the firemen. Heavenly Father was definantly watching out for you and Jack! Thank goodness!

Lauren said...

Yes, thank goodness that Jack Jack was ok. Like I told you, I'm sure that it will happen to me sometime, too. Don't beat yourself up over it. You are a FANTASTIC MOM. Loves...P.S. Thanks for letting us borrow the computer. It's HEAVEN to be connected again!

Ashlee said...

Rachel, oh my gosh, poor Jack! That would have scared me to death too. Everything worked out well and it sounded like you stayed in control and were calm. You are SUCH A GOOD MOM! We have all done things like that before, and we haven't we WILL! I'm glad he's ok!

Michelle said...

Holy Crap! Scary!!!!!!
I'm glad it all turend out ok. Poor Jack :(

Katrina said...

I can't believe I missed this post! Worst of all, I am supposed to be your friend and this is the first I heard about it. I should have been checking in on you. I am so sorry that happened. You are such a great mom and what a relief that the fire dept came so fast.

Andrea said...

That is so so scary. I am so glad it had a happy ending. Last summer Tyler bumped the locks as he got out of a rental car we had and locked Audrey in. Luckily it was in our garage, but since it was a rental we didn't have a spare set and Enterprise couldn't come for a few hours. I called 911and luckily they came within 5 minutes. It really was the longest 5 minutes of our life.

And a very sad story....Our really good friend's baby died last year in a hot car in Chandler. It was the saddest funeral I have ever been to. I am so so glad Jack is okay. I got the chills reading your post. It brought me back to that day last summer with our friends daughter. I am sure you will be so overly cautious now. Thank goodness for fast responding police and fire.

PS. Did you see Oprah on Wednesday that was about kids in hot cars?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...